US laws regarding health apply to unionized and non-unionized employees.

Family and medical leave

The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) is a US federal law that permits workers who work for an employer with 50 or more employees and have worked at least 12 months for the business for a total of at least 1,250 hours to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to care for:

  • A newborn or newly adopted or foster child,
  • To recover from the employee’s own serious illness, or
  • To care for a child, spouse, or parent with a serious health condition.

For questions about the federal FMLA, call the U.S. Department of Labor at 1-866-487-9243 or see the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 fact sheet.

If you are a union member

If you work in Washington, DC

If you work in Maryland

If you work in Virginia, the state is covered by FMLA. No other paid leave laws exist.


Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
A Guide for People with Disabilities Seeking Employment

If you are a union member

Injury at work

The United States Department of Labor (USDOL) is the official site to find out answers to questions about workplace injuries…How to treat them, how to file a claim, and get independent medical exams.

Go to the link below for this helpful information and more:
OSHA Health & Safety Topics Search

Worker’s Compensation
This is a form of insurance providing wage replacement and medical benefits to employees injured in the course of employment in exchange for mandatory relinquishment of the employee’s right to sue his or her employer for negligence.

You can check with the Worker’s Compensation Commissions in your state:

District of Columbia Workers’ Compensation 
Maryland Workers’ Compensation Commission
Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission

And, of course, check with your employer’s Human Resource Department to find out your employer’s policy on Workplace Injury.